GUROP seeks to enhance the academic status of undergraduate research, and to assure that students participating in research will have increased intellectual involvement in research projects. If you would like to work with our talented undergraduates in this way, we invite you to begin the process described below.
- Faculty who intend to sponsor undergraduate research assistants may submit to GUROP descriptions of their research interests and indicate the requirements (skills) desired in possible research assistants. Completing the online form will allow interested students to see faculty research interests. We advise faculty to complete the research project description even if you do not presently have a GUROP assistant selected. Click here to link to the Faculty Research Project Description.
- As soon as possible, research partners should initate the process of registration for GUROP. The very first thing for the STUDENT to do is to complete a "REGULAR" GUROP: Student Data Form. The deadline is the same as add/drop deadlines for other courses. Fall 2018: Friday, September 7; Spring 2019: Friday, January 18, 2019.
- All students participating in research for a minimum number of hours per term (60 hours) will have a zero-credit undergraduate research course entry added to other courses listed, provided the student-faculty research team applies for GUROP and the faculty confirms completion of the research requirement (hours and other duties).
- All students doing ample research during the academic year, and/or who have a successful proposal for mentored or independent research will be eligible to apply for competitive grants to fund a full-time research experience (typically in the summer term).
- GUROP can provide some minimal term-time funding for those "very high need" students who most qualify for financial aid. A limited amount of funds will be set aside each semester for this purpose. Students wishing to be considered for a small stipend should email GUROP@georgetown.edu and with approval to authorize GUROP to consult with the Student Financial Aid office about need based on the expected family contribution.
- Students also may be compensated through a faculty member’s own sponsored research funds, or through departmental work/study funds. If faculty have such funding, and would like to help pay a research assistant, please email email@example.com.
- Both student and faculty researchers will be reminded to complete a quick evaluation of their progress at the end of each semester.
- GUROP will offer discipline-specific workshops and other assistance over the course of the year to interested students who will want to use what they learn through the research process to further their post-graduate educational and career plans.