GUROP seeks to enhance the academic status of undergraduate research, and to assure that students participating in research will have increased intellectual involvement in research projects. If you would like to work with our talented undergraduates in this way, we invite you to begin the process described below.
- Faculty who intend to sponsor undergraduate research assistants should submit to GUROP descriptions of their research interests and indicate the requirements (skills) desired in possible research assistants. Completing the online form will allow all students to see your research interests. We advise competing the research project description even if you do not presently have a GUROP assistant selected. Click here to link to the Faculty Research Project Description.
- Research partners should complete a GUROP enrollment form the deadline (September 20) for fall semester; and by the add/drop deadlines for spring and summer terms (but no later than January 20 for spring semester, June 20 for summer term).
- All students participating in research for a minimum number of hours per term (60 hours) will have a zero-credit undergraduate research course entry added to other courses listed, provided the student-faculty research team applies for GUROP and the faculty confirms completion of the research requirement (hours and other duties).
- All students doing ample research during the academic year, and/or who have a successful proposal for mentored or independent research will be eligible to apply for competitive grants to fund a full-time research experience (typically in the summer term).
- GUROP will provide some minimal term-time funding for those "very high need" students who most qualify for financial aid. A limited amount of funds will be set aside each semester for this purpose. Students need to authorize (sign appropriate waiver section on the enrollment form) so that the Student Financial Aid office can provide very basic information about a student’s level of financial need.
- Students may be compensated through a faculty member’s own sponsored research funds, or through departmental work/study funds. If faculty have such funding, and would like to help pay a research assistant, please indicate that on the Research Project Description.
- Both student and faculty researchers will be recommented to complete a quick evaluation of their progress at the end of each semester.
- GUROP will offer discipline-specific workshops and other assistance over the course of the year as students use what they learn through the research process to further their post-graduate educational and career plans.